What happens if the campaign has an excess of donations?
When fundraisers start a campaign, they are prompted to set a donation target that is based on estimated bills or well-researched costs. This is to ensure transparency and accountability.
Sometimes, the donations might exceed the required amount due to reasons such as:
- An excess of generous donors for a campaign
- An update in the social mission (e.g. building one school instead of two schools)
- The beneficiary passing away before receiving life-saving treatment
In any event where there is a mismatch between the fundraised amount and the required amount, we will consider the situation on a case by case basis.
- If there is a change in the disaster relief campaign by a charity, we will encourage the charity to post an update to all donors to share their reasons and how they plan to manage the excess donations.
- If a patient in passes away before life-saving treatment, we will consult the fundraiser of the campaign and pay forward the donated amount to save another person in need.
The decision will be share via a campaign update to the donors informed. As part of our Giving Guarantee, we can issue a refund to any donor who wants his/her donation back.